Guinevere Piazera Larsen sent us the CfP for the upcoming Debuggers and Analysis Tools at FOSDEM 2024!:
We are excited to announce that the call for proposals is now open for the Debuggers and Analysis Tools developer room at the upcoming FOSDEM 2024, to be hosted on Saturday, February 3rd 2024 in Brussels, Belgium.
This devroom is a collaborative effort and is organized by dedicated people from projects such as GDB, SystemTap, Valgrind, GNU poke, Elfutils, binutils, Libabigail, and the like.
1st December 2023 Submission deadline
8th December 2023 Acceptance notifications
15th December 2023 Final Schedule announcement
3rd February 2024 Conference dates
## CFP Introduction
This devroom is geared towards authors, users and enthusiasts of Free Software programs involved with debugging and analyzing ELF programs using all the binary information available (including DWARF data).
The goal of the devroom is for developers to get in touch with each other and with users of their tools, have interesting and hopefully productive discussions, and finally what is most important: to have fun.
The format of the expected presentations will cover a range that
* Talks oriented towards developers of these projects
* Presentation / Introductory Workshops for users of these programs
* Activities oriented towards collaboration & standardization between these programs
All presentation slots are 25 minutes, with 15 minutes recommended for presentations, and 10 minutes for Q&A. This way we can have 8 slots and bio breaks, covering many topics!
### What is FOSDEM?
*FOSDEM is a free event for software developers to meet, share ideas and collaborate.*
Every year, thousands of developers of free and open source software from all over the world gather at the event in Brussels.
FOSDEM 2024 will take place on Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 February 2024.
It will be an in-person event at the *ULB Solbosch Campus, Brussels, Belgium, Europe.* If you aren’t there, you can watch the live streams from the main tracks and developer rooms.
### Important stuff:
– FOSDEM is free to attend. There is no registration.
– [FOSDEM website](https://fosdem.org/)
– [FOSDEM code of conduct](https://fosdem.org/2024/practical/conduct/)
– [FOSDEM Schedule](https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/)
### Desirable topics:
In this devroom, we’re interested in any projects that directly reads binary files and analyses or manipulates them directly. Some projects and tools that fit the devroom are:
– GNU poke
And any other debugging or binary analysis tool or framework
projects that might be of interest to Free Software enthusiasts.
### Topic overlap
There are over 50 developer rooms this year, and multiple main tracks, so there may be overlap with some other events.
If the topic would fit more than one devroom, you are free to choose which to submit to, but we encourage you to consider the focus of the talk, and see which devroom is best matched.
Full list of devrooms
### How to submit your proposal
To submit a talk, please visit the [FOSDEM 2024 Pretalx
Click *Submit a proposal*. Make sure you choose the “Debuggers and analysis tools” devroom in the track drop-down menu (so that we see it rather than another devroom’s organisers)
### What should be in your submission
– short bio
– contact info
– abstract (what you’re going talk about, supports markdown)
– description (more detail description, supports markdown)
– submission notes (for the organiser only, not made public)
– session image (if you have an illustration to go with the talk)
– additional speaker/s (if more than one person presenting)
Afterwards, click “Continue”.
The second page will include fields for:
– Extra materials for reviewers (optional, for organisers only)
– Additional information about the speaker (optional).
– Resources to be used during the talk
All presentations will be recorded and made available under Creative Commons licenses. In the Submission notes field, please indicate that you agree that your presentation will be licensed under the CC-By-SA-4.0 or CC-By-4.0 license and that you agree to have your presentation recorded.
“If my presentation is accepted for FOSDEM, I hereby agree to
license all recordings, slides, and other associated materials under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 International License.
Once you’ve completed the required sections, submit and we’ll get
back to you soon!
### Things to be aware of
- The reference time will be Brussels local lime (CET)
- There will be a Q/A session after the talk is over.
Please make sure that you will be available on the
day of the event.
- If you’re not able to attend the talk in-person, live stream links
will be available on the FOSDEM schedule page:
- FOSDEM Matrix channels are specific to each devroom,
the general link is: </#/#fosdem:fosdem.org>
- *Matrix bridge to the LibreSOC IRC channel*:
- FOSDEM 2024 FAQ: <https://fosdem.org/2024/faq/>
If you have any question about this devroom, please send a message to debuggers-and-analysis-devroom-manager at fosdem dot org.
Organizers of the devroom can also be reached on IRC at #email@example.com